Tuesday, September 3, 2013

My Awesome Uncle

Uncle Peter

This is one of my awesome uncles. I am closest to him because I know everything about him from his medical history to how his relationship is going with his girlfriend. I didn't always think he was awesome. For the longest time, I thought he was a pain in the butt and in fact even very selfish. It was about a year ago when I realized how awesome he really is. 

Background:
My uncle Peter was affected with Polio as a kid. Both his legs were affected by Polio, one more than the other. As a joke, we would joke about how his feet are shaped like little swans. His toes curled up like the swan's head and his balls of the feet look like the chest of the swan. Due to the anatomical difference of his feet and legs, his shoes would cause ulcers to form and he's been dealing with this chronic issue for about 10 years now. About six years ago, he was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia and takes medication for it. A recent discovery from an X-ray exam indicated that he also has a displaced hip on his good leg and needs hip replacement. 

Awesomeness:
Despite all his medical problems, he is the happiest person I know. If you google Happy As a Clam, that picture I posted above should show up. He keeps things simple. He does what the doctor says. He fills his time by helping my uncle Charlie (another awesome person) at the restaurant. He has a positive outlook on life. He is not afraid to die. 

My mom use to be his caretaker and after she passed away, I took the responsibility. When I first started  taking care of his medical issues, it was tough. My week was filled with doctor's appointments. It gradually became less. I was definitely feeling emotionally and physically drained from it and subconsciously became not very nice towards him. Then I read this book called The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. I started to understand my uncle and our relationship. 

There are five love languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch. I always thought my uncle expected me to do everything for him. For awhile, I thought he took me for granted and was a person that always takes and does not give. I would get upset at him when he would go shopping and fill the freezer with enough food to feed a whole army. Sometimes he would bring food from the restaurant that he thinks I would like, but bc I was constantly on some sort of lifestyle modification, I would not appreciate it. After reading the book, I realized that he was trying to speak the language of Gift Giving. He was trying to show me that he appreciates and loves me by giving me food. That is the only language he knows how to speak and capable of showing. Once I realized that, I started to feel loved and appreciated. 

My Uncle Peter has taught me to have patience not only to people with disability, but with everything in life. His positive outlook has rubbed off on me. Just when I think something is bad, I just remember his goofy smile and think "IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE". His MO is to keep things simple and I try to apply it. He also believes he can do anything (sometimes I wonder if he even thinks of himself as someone who is disabled). I also live my life believing that I can do anything, I just have to try. I love my uncle and I think he is just AWESOME. 















No comments:

Post a Comment