Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Awesome experiences are usually hidden in the Unknown



Red Rock Canyon, Nevada

Recently I have been hiking a lot. Hiking is the time I think and reflect. Today was the fourth time I've hiked in Whiting Ranch. Each time when I get to the top of Mustard Road, I look out towards the Saddleback Mountains and the city I have lived in for over 15 years...the word AMAZING pops into my mind. For years, I have never wanted to hike Whiting Ranch because I was scared. There was a mountain lion attack in the early 2000 that left me Fearful of hiking there. I feared of the mountain lions. I feared of getting hurt. I feared of the poison ivy. I feared of getting lost. I feared of hiking alone. I had so many fears!!!

I realized that all throughout my life I have let the fear of the unknown stopped me from experiencing life. In the last three years, I have learned to become fearless. It is very natural for us to be scared of the unknown and then disengage from it. But the unknown is really not that scary.

Here are some tips to help with fear:
1. look it up: never go by the saying "what you don't know won't hurt you" because it will! make the unknown known. I google everything. When you know what to expect, the unknown is no longer a mystery.
2. just do it: what's the worst thing that could happen (within reason of course).

In the last few years, the awesome things I have experienced:
Ocean kayaking and stand up paddle boarding, outriggering in the back bay, running a half marathon, zip lining, cave swimming, bouldering, hiking some amazing trials, finishing my masters degree and nurse practitioner program...not only I have let go of my fears of doing certain activities, I have also let go of the fear of being hurt. I have allowed myself to be open and vulnerable to people. I have been burnt plenty of times, but I realized that I'm not going to allow fear of being hurt get in my way of experiencing love and being true to myself.

Bottom line: Go out and experience life without fear. Don't let the fear of unknown stop you. Life could be even more AWESOME than you can possibly imagine.




No comments:

Post a Comment